20 Years Going Strong 1982-2012

Posted in History, Properties | Leave a comment

Shipyard Farm Hike 2014

Shipyard Farm sign at entrance through the fields

Shipyard Farm Hike Nov 16 2014GPS tracking of trail with mapping on Topofusion

The guided hike of the trails through Shipyard Farm and Winsegansett Marsh on November 16, 2014, was a huge success with 25 attendees plus 4 children and 4 dogs.  Under overcast skies, temperatures warmed to 44⁰ and trail conditions were dry.

The corn fields were harvested sometime in October, so the first leg of the trail through the fields was the most difficult. The freshly tilled soil was soft and it felt kind of like walking on a sandy beach. As the hike started into the forest, the trail became blanketed with leaves.

Trail through Shipyard Farm fields.

 

Looking out toward Jack’s Cove area of Nasketucket Bay at marsh on the eastern coast of Shipyard Farm, Ken Lipman stopped to speak about the upland forest visible behind him to the right.

 

Sign at entrance to forest on northeast side of farm fields.

 

Old rock walls are visible throughout the property, sometimes very well hidden under the thicket that has overgrown the area.

Into the forest with trail blanketed with leaves.

Even among all the brown of the fallen leaves and the deciduous trees, this berry bush (not sure what it is!!) is a welcome sight.

 

 Trail markers are in trees along this portion. Double diamond marker indicates a turn in the trail.

 

Trail on east side of Sconticut Neck Road comes out at Sconticut Neck Rd. at a point north of the hike starting point. There is a short distance to walk on the road to enter the path on the west side, which winds through Winsegansett Marsh to the coast on the west side toward New Bedford Harbor.

 

The plank walkways through the Winsegansett Marsh help you get through the wet portion of the trail. This picture is from 2012, and there was not nearly as much water on this portion for the 2014 hike.

This wind sock on the beach has been whipped and stripped bare. Two years ago it was still whole.

 

The crowd in the distant left is at the end of the trail, which culminates at Winsegansett Pond.

Posted in Properties, Property Blogs, Uncategorized | Comments Off

Annual Hike

FAIRHAVEN ACUSHNET LAND PRESERVATION TRUST TO HOST GUIDED HIKE ON SCONTICUT NECK PROPERTIES HELD BY TRUST

Sunday November 16, 2014; RAIN DATE Sunday November 23, 2014

10:00 am

All are welcome. This hike will be approximately 2 hours of easy walking. It is possible to do half the hike.

These properties (225 acres) contain many diverse ecological areas including tidal flats, salt marsh, upland maritime forest, wooded swamp and open fields.

Meet at the Shipyard Farm sign on the east side (left) of Sconticut Neck Road, five miles south of Huttleston Ave. There is ample parking along the side of the road.

The Fairhaven Acushnet Land Preservation Trust is a non-profit organization.  As such, it depends on membership fees to function. For more information about the Fairhaven Acushnet Land Preservation Trust, contact John Darwin at (508) 667-1040

Posted in Properties, Uncategorized | Comments Off

2014 Annual Member Meeting

Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off

Your Land Trust needs your help

Posted in Properties, Uncategorized | Comments Off

2013 Annual Meeting

Posted in Membership, Uncategorized | Comments Off

Guided Hike on Sconticut Neck Nov. 17, 2012

Come and get to know some of the properties that are preserved and available for public hiking.

The Fairhaven Acushnet Land Preservation Trust will hold a guided hike of the SHIPYARD FARM and WINSEGANSETT HEIGHTS/MARSHES PROPERTIES on Saturday November 17, 2012.  This hike will be approximately 2 hours of easy walking starting at 12:30, led by Ken Lipman. Ken was very instrumental in setting up the trails throughout this area, and maintains the various footbridges needed to traverse some of the swampy areas.

The Winsegansett Heights, Winsegansett Marshes, and Shipyard Farm properties comprise over 225 acres of protected Trust Lands that contain many diverse ecological areas including tidal flats, salt marsh, upland maritime forest, wooded swamp and open fields, not to mention a relic from the old quahog plant.

Meet at the Shipyard Farm sign on the east side (left) of Sconticut Neck Road, five miles south of Huttleston Ave. There is ample parking along the side of the road.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

In Memory of Founder Dan Mello

Daniel A. Mello

August 29, 2012

Daniel A. Mello, 78, of Fairhaven died August 29, 2012 unexpectedly at St. Luke’s Hospital.He was the husband of Lorraine A. “Lori” (Roy) Mello.Born in Dartmouth, the son of the late Manuel O. and Angelina (Cabral) Mello, he lived in Fairhaven most of his life.Mr. Mello was a communicant of St. Anthony’s Church in Mattapoisett.He was employed by the National Bank of Fairhaven for 37 years starting as a teller and rising through the ranks to president before retiring in 1990. He was a graduate of Fairhaven High School class of 1952 and attended the Williams School of Banking. He was a partner of Mello & Hotchkiss Real Estate.Mr. Mello was a co-founder of Fairhaven Land Trust, board member of AAA of Massachusetts and antique car owner and enthusiast.

Survivors include his wife; a son, Peter A. Mello and his wife Jennifer of Mattapoisett; a sister, Laura Cabral of Las Vegas; 2 grandchildren, Luke Mello and Joy Mello; and many nieces and nephews.

He was the brother of the late Evelyn Mitchell, Alfred Mello, Gilbert Mello, James Mello, Joseph Mello, John Mello and Manuel Mello.

In lieu of flowers, the family recommends gifts be made in the name of Daniel A. Mello to the Fairhaven Acushnet Land Preservation Trust, PO Box 491, Fairhaven, MA 02719.

His Funeral Mass will be celebrated on Thursday, September 6th at 10 AM in St. Anthony’s Church, Mattapoisett. Visiting hours Wednesday, September 5th from 4-8 PM in the Saunders-Dwyer Mattapoisett Home For Funerals, 50 County Rd. (Rt. 6) Mattapoisett.

Saunders-Dwyer Funeral Home

50 County Road, Route 6

Mattapoisett, MA USA 02739

508-758-2292

www.saundersdwyer.com/Obituaries.htm

Posted in Memorial | Comments Off

White’s Mill/Factory Today

White’s Factory Today Feb. 9, 2012

_________________________________________

 

 

White’s Factory as seen approaching from the Acushnet River

 

It was a beautiful day on Thursday, February 9, 2012, when John Darwin drove me around to the northern properties of the Fairhaven Acushnet Land Preservation Trust.  One of the historic jewels located in Acushnet is the White’s Factory ruins.  Located on Hamlin Road just west of the Acushnet River are the remains of the old White’s Factory.  The area of this site is rich in history dating back to 1746 when a mill dam was built.

As you approach the site of the old mill ruins from the east, you drive over the dam that predates the mill.   Information derived from A History of the Town of Acushnet, by Franklyn Howland (published 1907), tells us the mill dam was first built soon after 1746 and a new dam was built in 1778.  A saw mill owned by Moses Washburn on this site in 1799 was sold to William White Sr.  The White family had knowledge of manufacturing cotton and woolen goods, so they constructed a stone cotton mill and other buildings.  That mill burned and was rebuilt in 1831.  The White brothers continued in service until 1844 when they sold to Thomas & Dow who enlarged it and put in steam.  That factory burned 1854-1856 and business was discontinued.

Samuel B. Hamlin bought the business and the converted ruins became a saw mill which was owned by his son, James B. Hamlin, in 1907 (the year A History of the Town of Acushnet was published).  The property remained under the ownership of the White family until they donated the property to the Fairhaven-Acushnet Land Preservation Trust in 1998.

For those interested in more detailed history, the book is available in its entirety.

http://books.google.com/books?id=-OaaypAR95UC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

John Darwin is looking at the back of the Fairhaven Acushnet Land Preservation Trust sign where he has posted a letter received from the Town of Acushnet Building Department in January, 2008, as a warning to visitors to use caution around the site.

Posted in History, Properties, Property Blogs | Comments Off

February Board Meeting 2012

MINUTES for Board Meeting  Feb. 8, 2012

Please send amendments, additions and amplifications to me asap.

The Fairhaven Acushnet Land Preservation Trust Board met Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 6:30 at the Millicent Library.  President John Darwin, Ken Lipman, Cora Peirce, and Treasurer Tom Hood, attended.  Secretary Barbie Burr, Brad Wakeman, Carolyn Longworth and Gunnar Berg did not attend.  Assistant to the board Deborah Chormicle kept minutes.

Secretary’s Report – Minutes of the Jan. 11, 2012, meeting were accepted.

Correspondence received was read (2 articles)

Notification of Abutter Form received from Fairhaven Conservation Commission.  Project Name: Aquaculture, Address: Waters south of Round Island, Description: Raise shellfish. The Public Hearing will be held at 6:30 pm on Feb. 27, 2012. FALPT received this notice as we are abutters to this project request.  There does not seem to be any conflict with FALPT property involving this project.

Letter from David S. Davignon with membership money, and sincere appreciation for use of White’s Mill for his wedding Jun 2, 2012. John suggested he contact Mark Phaneuf, Steward for the White’s Mill property.

Treasurer’s Report- John Darwin reported on the cumulative results of the Membership mailing, having 38 replies and receipt of $2415.

Voted To approve the advertising for the Annual Meeting in the Neighborhood News to run for five weeks at $20 per week. Motion was seconded and passed.

Discussed- Shipyard Farm: John has registered with the USDA office for Bristol County requesting assistance to make the old hay fields on Shipyard Farms into a more bird-friendly environment.  USDA Director Julie A. Vivieros will have to approve the request.  Mark Viveiros was invited to attend this board meeting, but failed to make an appearance.  After much discussion regarding the practice of Mark Viveiros haying of Shipyard Farm, Ken made the following motion.

Voted To allow Mark Viveiros to farm on year-by-year basis.  The vote was not passed.

Meeting Adjourned 7:45 pm.

Next Meeting:  Annual Meeting, March 14, 6:30 pm, Millicent Library

Respectfully submitted by Deborah Chormicle

Posted in Meeting Minutes | Comments Off